Since discovering the WordPress Daily Prompt, I’ve thought about all of them, but shared very few. Beyond Back Creek is not the kind of blog that lends itself to much introspection, and I’d rather spend my time here sharing my experiences trying to create homes, in multiple senses of the word. But today’s question had been on my mind for a few days. (Funny how that happens with the WordPress crew…should I be worried that you know me too well?) You see, my usual ideal Saturday does not involve sleeping in or watching cartoons or going to yoga class. I wake up early, get dressed in the dark, and pack a lunch. I feed the dog, prep food for the next few meals, and leave Mike a note. And then I head off to work, for a weekend job that I love, despite the uncommon schedule.
But not today. Today, I jolted awake after 6 and took a few seconds to realize I wasn’t late for anything. I stayed in bed with the cat and the iPad for an hour, catching up on emails. By the time I got up, Mike had made coffee, and the heater was on. We both remarked how lucky I was to be able to spend this morning watching cooking shows and looking over the seed catalogs. And I am lucky, especially in light of the news from Connecticut that I try to avoid, or the updates from New Jersey where families are still homeless after Sandy. I am here, we are here, the house is here. And everyone we know and love is safe. But not all of me feels like things are okay.
Today, once again, I don’t have a job to go to. Despite all the good things about this life, I am still anxious about This Thing. And no, it doesn’t help when (I assume) well-meaning people say “You are so lucky you have free time now. I wish I didn’t have to go to work!” Funny, I think. If you couldn’t work, I bet you’d wish you could. But I watched TV, and soaked up the heat, and drank far too much coffee. And I pondered today’s Daily Prompt.
So here’s what I decided to do.
I will think about my usual, ideal Saturday. The one I am not having right now.
And then I will write about the way things are this morning, and how this will be The Best Saturday Ever. Because I do have power over that. And taking the time, and the control over the computer, to write this is part of the good thing that today will be.
I will channel the Kitchen Goddess, and Laura Ingalls Wilder, and Carla Emery. And combine them all together. We have a bit of corn meal, and some pork bits. And I will make food out of thin air, and call it Scrapple.
There is a beautiful, fresh duck egg on the counter. I have no black pepper, but I have paprika, and mustard powder. So I will make a devilled mayonaisse to add to fresh foraged greens from the No-Acre Homestead, and we will have the world’s best Scrapple sandwich for brunch.
And I will take a leisurely stroll in an upscale neighborhood with the pup, and enjoy their oh-so-tasteful Christmas decorations.
I will take glass out of the long-cold kiln, and turn it into jewlery. And I will have the time to document what went right, and what went wrong, and what I will do differently next time. And I will have the time to make today ‘next time’.
And I will write a list of garden chores that I used to be able to do myself, but now need to ask for help. So I will ask for help, and I will supervise. And I will be grateful, but will try not to feel in debt.
And then I will plan for Spring.
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- Me Time « Natalie Elizabeth Beech
- Me Time « twilightsteffie
- Me Time | Renato Vasconcellos David
- Daily Prompt: Me Time | Lady J’s Library – The Desk of Julia Dina Blackowicz
- What do I do with my ‘Me Time’? | Beautiful Sin Webmaster Photoshop and Paintshop Pro Resources
- Daily Prompt: Me Time | writinglikeastoner
- Daily Prompt: Me Time | Stuph Blog
- A Day Like Any Other Day « jaschmehl
- Ideal Saturdays [Daily Prompt] « Q the Adult
- Daily Prompt: Me Time « The Eclectic Eccentric Shopaholic
- Daily Prompt: Me Time | Edward Hotspur
- Daily Prompt: Me Time | The Cat Chronicles
- My first Daily Prompt from WP « Living in Maine
- Daily Prompt: Me Time | Daddy’s Naughty Little Girl
- Daily Prompt~Me(us) Time « The Cheeky Diva
- Daily Prompt: Me Time | Beefy’s House o’ Fun
- Me Time | Tangled Up In Daydreams
- My ideal Saturday morning: Coffee and Sunrise « oh, this and that
- Twenty Stockings | Live-Blogging Love and Loss
- WordPress Daily Prompt : Me Time / How Are We This Morning? – Virginia Photos
- Daily Prompt: Me Time | …and she writes
- The Way Things Are This Morning | beyond back creek
- Daily prompt: Me time « Hope* the happy hugger
0 Be the first to Like this