I feel privileged that I was there to see this moment. Jake, a recently rescued black Lab mix, partially blind and skittish, is learning to trust his new owner. Little is known of his history, except that he was found wandering in the woods, injured and starving. It was obvious his experiences with humans were not pleasant. Yet over the past few months, Jake has learned that he is safe, again or at last. When I witnessed this scene, he was slowly allowing himself to be vulnerable, good eye hidden and head nuzzled into his owner’s shoulder. No reward was promised, other than a kiss, and someone to lean on.
The resilience of dogs continues to amaze me. A being with such willingness to trust, despite a history that would cement fear into a human heart, must truly be physical proof of unconditional love. The interactions between animals and their loving owners melts my heart. And it breaks my heart to learn of an animal being deliberately hurt, or cast away, at the whim of a human.
Jake was adopted through a local Lab rescue. Our own pup came through Akita rescue. There are probably lonely dogs and cats in shelters close to you, full of love and kisses and looking for someone to share them with. Please consider opening your home and your heart to an animal in need.
Is there an animal rescue that you support? Please feel free to post it in the Comments below!
I’m wishing everyone at least one moment of unconditional love today.
This post was inspired both by a wonderful encounter I had with a fellow Free-cycler and by the WordPress Weekly photo challenge. More interpretations to the assignment “Kiss” can be found below.
Trackbacks & Pingbacks
- weekly photo challenge : kiss | Time To Be Inspired
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Kiss « MaanKind
- Weekly Photo Challenge – Kiss « The Urge To Wander
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Kiss « Lagottocattleya
- Weekly Photo Challlenge: KISS « The Adventures of Iñigo Boy
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Kiss | En snögummas tankar om livet
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Kiss | rfljenksy – Practicing Simplicity
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Kiss | Pilot Fish
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Kiss | The Blog Farm – A Growing Blog Community
- The sun kissed the earth | breathofgreenair
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Kiss | mothergrogan
- Celebrity News & Alerts | Google Alert – KISS
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Kiss « Last Train to QVille
- kiss « yi-ching lin photography
- Weekly Photo Challenge: KISS « Life&Ink
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Kiss | Notes from Africa
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Kiss | Mike Hardisty Photography
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Kiss | My Thoughts like Balloons
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Kiss | My Sardinian Life
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Kiss | My Caymanian Life
- Kiss Me! A WordPress Weekly Photo Challenge! « Life in the Foothills
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Kiss | Drama Queen Under the Sun
- Penguin Pecks (Pic de Jour) | piran café
- Weekly Photo Challenge : Kissing clouds | SABAS LOG
- Weekly Photo Challenge: Kiss back in Time « What’s (in) the picture?
10 Like This